Max/Msp/Jitter is an extremely flexible visual programming language widely used by performers, artists, and composers to make cutting-edge work by connecting basic functional blocks together into unique custom made applications. It allows the user to work in real time with music, sound, video, visuals, 3D graphics and interactive media applications. It is therefore particularly useful in live, interactive situations, and can be a very useful tool to a sound designer.
The software can be used to:
- Develop unique sound-making tools, unusual instruments, and custom performance systems
- Create images and video that respond to sound and other inputs
- Connect sensors and electronics to create interactive media
- Combine controllers, music, lighting, & visuals.
- Combine a variety of devices and software together using MIDI, serial communication, or network protocols to create hybrid systems.
- Collaborate across a local network with other computers or OSC-enabled mobile apps.
This practical beginner workshop is intended to provide an introduction to Max, MSP, and Jitter. The topics we will cover include–
• an overview of the software and its main objects
• basic audio and video processing techniques
• using midi in Max
• real time sound synthesis
• Max's integration with Ableton Live
• practical software building in Max/MSP ("Patching")
• using a variety of sensors to trigger and influence parameters of sound in real time (using arduino and sensors)
• how to control Max patches from an iPhone or an iPad or a Nintendo Wiimote using the OSC protocol and wifi
Participants are required to bring their own Windows or Mac laptops with the current version of Max installed (or the free 30 days demo of the software downloadable at http://cycling74.com/downloads/ ) a pair of headphones, and a midi keyboard or controller (if you have one). Participants will be able to gain most from this session by working through the included tutorials ahead of the workshop. More Information on Max is here.
The training session will be run by Marina Venturini, who teaches Max/MSP at Rose Bruford College.
It is worth noting that Max/MSP is a complex tool, and this session does not pretend that participants will have learned the software by the end of the day. Rather, it aims to provide an introduction that will allow those who develop an interest, with enough basic experience to begin pursuing Max/MSP further on their own.
If you live more than 50 miles from London, you could be eligible for our new travel assistance scheme
, where we'll pay 1/3rd to 1/2 of your travel costs.